|Description: Postcard with black and white photo of a canal in Venice. Shows long narrow canal with several gondolas going under bridges. Front: "Ponte dei Sespiri - Venezia." Back: "Stampato Lib. e Cart. Zanetti, Venezia."
History:These postcards are from a trip Annie Harris took to Europe in 1903 with Caroline Farncomb as chaperone. They had been stored in post card album accessioned under 2005.4.183 which belonged to Annie Harris.|
Caroline Farncomb (1859-1951) was a close family friend of the Harris family and a well respected artist. She studied with Mlle Van den Broeck in London, William Chase in New York, and in Paris at the Académie Julian. She exhibited her work in Canada and Europe, receiving many first prizes in exhibitions in London, Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa. Farncomb painted her surroundings including her family, friends, animals, and landscapes. A number of her paintings can be found at Benares including a portrait of Mary Harris, Arthur Harris, Brownie the cat and a still life of birds. Caroline acted as the chaperone for Annie Harris and two of her friends in 1903. Caroline never married and died in London, Ontario on November 13, 1951.
For information on Caroline Farncomb and the Academie Julian, see: Gabriel P Weisberg and Jane R. Becker, Overcoming all Obstacles: The Women of the Académie Julian (New Jersey: Rutgers University, 1999); Nancy Geddes Poole _The Art of London, 1830-1980_ (London, Ontario: Blackpool Press, 1984); Rebecca Sisler, Passionate Spirits (Toronto: Clarke, Irwin and Company Limited, 1980), 36.
Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1883-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1968 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her mother by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.