Harris Family Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 9 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Book - "Hurlburt's Story of the Bible"
Identifier: 2003.2.5
Donor: Barbara Sayers Larson
Item Date: 1922
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A hard covered book with an olive green cover with gold and black inscriptions on the front and spine. There is a picture of a biblical boy playing a harp on the front cover. The book contains bible stories told in simple language of today for the young and old. The book contains colour plates and engravings. Jesse Lyman Hurlbut (1843-1930) was an evangelical ordained Methodist minister. He was the director of the Biblical Institute of Newark, a founder of the Epworth League, a Methodist youth organization, as well as the General Secretary of the Sunday School Union and Trust Society of the Methodist Church. His book, "Hurlbut's Story of the Bible", is considered one of the best Bible books for children. Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary Harris (1859-1954), née Magrath. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in the log cabin originally given to her parents by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. Barbara still maintains a close tie with Benares and currently lives in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851