|Description: The book is entitled "Christie's Christmas" from the Pansy Series. It was published by Ward, Lock, Bowden & Co. in London, New York, Melbourne, and Sydney. The book has a green cover with yellow flowers. There are advertisements for books and various products throughout. The book has 236 pages. The back cover has a crest with initials "W.L.C". Inside the front page, there is handwriting, which reads, "Annie & Naomi Harris - Benares Clarkson, P.O."
The book belonged to Annie (1882-1986) and Naomi Harris (1883-1968) who were educated at home by governesses at Benares. Annie and Naomi were the daughters of Mary (1859-1954) (née Magrath) and Arthur Harris (1843-1932). They were later sent to Miss DuPont's School for Ladies in Toronto and lived at their aunts' house, Bessie (1835-1910) and Lucy (1844-1925), on St. George Street. Unmarried, both Bessie and Lucy lived at Benares until 1888 when they received a series of inheritances that allowed them to buy a house in a fashionable neighbourhood in Toronto. They were known as the Harris Aunts and enjoyed collecting antiques and various curiosities.
Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, and still maintains a close tie with Benares.