|Description: Black and white glossy photo of the fireplace in Bradley Museum. There is a framed picture above the mantle. Standing on the left of the mantle is a porcelain figurine. Standing on the right of the mantle are two candlesticks. Inside the fireplace is a log on top of a black stand. On the left of the picture, leaning against the fireplace is a small shovel and what looks like a pair of tongs.|
The picture was taken inside Bradley museum which was Richard Smith Bradley’s childhood home. Richard Bradley (1832-1908) was the youngest son of Lewis and Elizabeth Bradley. Richard Bradley was born 24 May, 1832, in Toronto Township. He was eleven when his father died in 1843 and sixteen when he went to live with his sister, Mary Freeman and her husband, on their farm in Woodhouse Township, following the remarriage of his mother. Richard married Marjorie Melissa Van Order, 10 December, 1861, and he became a commercial traveler living in Hamilton, Streetsville, Collingwood, and Toronto. They later moved to Detroit, Michigan in the 1880s and he died there 8 November 1908. Richard and Marjorie had four children.
Mississauga’s first museum, Bradley Museum, opened as a Centennial Project in 1967, this site has continued to grow and evolve over the decades and is still undergoing developmental changes today. Bradley Museum is situated on a 2 1/4 acre site in the Clarkson area of Mississauga. Presently there are six structures on the Bradley site: three are historic houses and three are reproduction outbuildings (a barn, a drive shed, and an outhouse). The site was named for Bradley House, when the original structure moved to the site. It is now owned and operated by the City of Mississauga and continues to educate, entertain and grow. For more information on the Bradley Museum see www.museumsofmississauga.com.