|Description: A black wooden darning egg with a metal handle. The egg is on a 6 cm long handle which is decorated with scroll design in relief. |
Items belonged to donor’s mother, Phyllis Maybee. Phyllis Marion Maybee, née Fryer, was born June 11, 1905 in West Toronto, but lived most of her life in Port Credit. Her father, John Harry Fryer, built a house at 1235 Minaki Drive (off Mineola Road) in Port Credit c. 1922. She lived here during her childhood and even rented this home for a few years once she was married. The house was a Dutch Colonial style and the ownership was transferred to Marguerite Patricia Fryer in 1967. The land was subdivided in 1988 with the intent to demolish it. Legend Homes has owned it since 2005 and it was illegally torn down recently. Mr. Fryer apparently named the street Minaki after a northern Ontario lodge. It is an aboriginal word meaning "all good land" or "beautiful country" according to the Heritage Impact Statement created by LACAC.
Phyllis married Gareth Edward (Garry) Maybee (1902-1996) on August 27, 1927 at Trinity Anglican Church and they had 68 years together. Gary Maybee was born on June 9, 1902 in Toronto but his family moved to Port Credit and they lived on Stavebank Road. He graduated from U of T in 1924 and Osgoode Law School in 1927. Upon graduation he entered his father's patent practice, Ridout and Maybee. The Maybees had three daughters, Jane Stock, Nancy Archer and Lynn Watson. Phyllis and her husband lived at 88 Cumberland Drive in Port Credit from around June 1944 until moving to Chelsey Park nursing home in 2006. Mrs. Maybee celebrated her 101st birthday in June 2006 and passed away in April 2007.
Phyllis used to volunteer for the former South Peel Hospital repairing gowns and later working in the gift shop. She also knitted hundreds of layette sets for new born babies that were sold in the gift shop. Phyllis also loved to play Bridge and was a member in several clubs for over 50 years.