COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 537 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Laundry Tub Bench
  View Full size image
Title: Laundry Tub Bench
Identifier: 2008.12.54
Donor: Mario Druso
Item Date: 1915-1925
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A wooden laundry tub bench. The tub bench folds flat and has two legs on each side that rotate on a dowel. The bench has three horizontal beams that measure 122 cm x 2 cm x 4 cm and are spaced 17cm apart with three 1.8cm dowels. The bench legs are made of two 4.2 cm x 2.2 cm wood with cross beams top and bottom. The two upright pieces hinge flat on the dowels at each end of the bench, the cross beams are nailed with 2 nails at each side. The leg frames consist of two upright slats 54 x 4 x 2 cm with crossbeams to stabilize the legs. The upper crossbeam prevents the table collapsing flat by abutting the horizontal slats. The crossbeams are fixed to the upright legs with the two nails at each side. The uprights are cut at an angle so they stand flat on the ground or do not protrude above the level of the top slats.

The folding bench held laundry tubs on wash day, used with washboards.

This bench was found on the O'Neil Property that was located at 3361 Mississauga Road. It is believed that Mr. O'Neil who operated an orchard farm used the bench to hold apple crates.

James and Ann O’Neil of County Wicklow in Ireland immigrated after the potato famine to Quebec where James found work on the railway. Around 1867 they moved to Streetsville purchasing two properties equalling 80 acres of land. In the 1877 Ontario Census James (77) was listed as a farmer and a Catholic. His wife Ann (70) and daughter Bridget (26) live with him. James died in 1888. His son John Moody O’Neil (1841-1911) bought property south of his fathers at Mississauga Road called the Grange Cottage. Their son John Thomas O’Neil (1878-1931) married Rachael Mosley and they had two sons, Hugh and John. Thomas moved to Vancouver for a short time but returned to his family home and built an addition on to the back of his family homestead at 3361 N. Mississauga Road. Hugh (1913-2006) was the last owner of the homestead and ran a fruit farm. Hugh was an eccentric and very wealthy man who choose to live in his parents neglected farm house.

The property was sold to the donor in 2008. The house and out-buildings have been demolished but heritage organizations were allowed to salvage any items that would help to preserve the history of Mississauga.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada