COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 945 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - Springfield
Identifier: 2005.1.167
Donor: Barbara Larson
Item Date: c.1900
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A black and white enlarged photograph of Springfield. In the background is St. Peter's Anglican Church, surrounded by trees. A road is in the middle and appears to be in the same position as today's Dundas Street. Below the church is the Credit River with a bridge. The road is lined with electrical poles. Three houses and two women( one thought to be Charlotte Schreiber) are on the left side. A man is walking in the middle. A buggy with two horses, five men, and a child are in the right side of the foreground. Two buildings are on the right, one with a tall sign reading - The Exchange by G. Taylor. There appears to have been a tear in the left upper corner of the original photograph. 'Springfield' is handwritten in blue ink on the back of the photograph. 'Copy' is written in pencil on the right hand corner of the back of the photograph.

History:The area of Springfield has had many names over the past. Originally called Toronto in the early 1800s, once the post office was established in the 1830s, the town was then called Credit (after the Credit River). Shortly afterwards, the town of Credit was called Springfield. It then changed to Springfield-on-the-Credit. In 1900, the name was changed to Erindale, after the estate of Rev. James Magrath (the grandfather of Mary Harris).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga