|Description: A light blue hard covered book entitled "Tom Kennedy's Story". The title and authors' name is in green and there is a repeated green floral pattern on front and back of book. The book has 62 pages and one line drawing of T. L. Kennedy in later life. Written inside the front cover in blue ink and pencil is " Margaret Lawrence Oct. 67, Ralph Hyman lived across from us in New Toronto ( house beside park)- he died in 1990- March". There is a beige paper insert with brown writing that details about the content and indicates that this was a complementary copy given out by the Globe and Mail newspaper.|
HISTORY:Tom Kennedy’s Story by Colonel T. L. Kennedy as told by Ralph Hyman was published as a memorial by the Globe and Mail with only 1500 copies made.
Thomas Laird Kennedy (1878-1959) lived near the Dundas and Tomken intersection in Cooksville and Dixie. Kennedy was a fruit grower for the majority of his life however he became involved in politics and in 1919, he was elected to the provincial parliament as a Conservative member for Peel. He served as Minister of Agriculture from 1930-1934 and from 1943 until 1952. In 1948, Kennedy became interim Premier of Ontario when the incumbent, George Alexander Drew died. Kennedy remained in the office until Leslie Miscampbell Frost became leader of the party the following year. Kennedy also served in the First World War and attained the rank of colonel in the militia. In 1974, the Mississauga Historical Society (now Mississauga South Historical Society) organized a ceremony to erect a commemorative plaque honouring T.L. Kennedy in front of Dixie public school at 1120 Flagship Drive. The school sits on land that was once part of the Kennedy farm. There is also a high school in Cooksville named after him and Tomken road is named after him as well combining his first and last names.
Book donated by Bill Lawrence. William (Bill) Lawrence was born in 1912 in Bond Head, Ontario. His father was a Methodist minister so his family moved every four years. He moved to Clarkson in 1922 and later returned to Port Credit in 1950. He moved to 92 Cumberland Drive with his wife and four children. Margaret was very involved in genealogy and historical research including working towards having both the Bradley Museum and Anchorage moved to their present sites. Bill graduated form Mechanical Engineering from University of Toronto in 1933 and worked on the development of radar during WWII which meant he was not allowed to join the Navy as he wanted. He later bought Rumble Automations where he worked until he retired in the 1970's.
Ralph Hyman was a neighbour of the Lawrence's when they lived in New Toronto (High Park). He died in March 1990.