|Description: A metal curved sign with the Star of David and Hebrew letters stating "corn oil kosher"; there are two holes on either end of the sign used to attach it to a pole (?); lettering and image is raised; "Patterson & Heward Toronto" engraved on either end of sign. Attached to the back of the sign is a paper label saying "corn oil kosher" in English.
History: The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic.
St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street and Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see "St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989".
|Copyright: Museums of Mississauga|
|Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga|