|Description: A double-spaced typewritten transcript of two letters, each two pages in length dated Sunday, Sept 8, 1945 from Rev. James Magrath and Sat. Sept. 7, 1845 from Anna, father and sister respectively to Charley in Ireland. James tells Charley that all of his commissions have been delivered and thanks him for the tongs, he also mentions the ear trumpet Charley sent, but feels it is too large and would like a smaller portable one. James complains that the person recommended to their protection, doesn't seem to know what he will do, or is unwilling to communicate it, the only thing on which he seems decided is going to St. Vincent. “He seems to have a great hankering to get into the bush”. James tells Charley not risk his life, coming in a merchantman in the boisterous weather, but to take a liner instead.|
Anna's letter is full of thanks for the beautiful piano and a brooch Charley has sent. She mentions that Maria is delighted with the bible. Anna says “We have all been eating Dilisk, it reminds us of our dear Mother, when she used to give us a bit out of her drawer”. Charly also sent books for young Freddy and that “the darling child has delight with the goosey ganders”. Anna describes a group of them riding to the Indian Village. She is glad that Charley, having all the business he intended, will now have some time for fun.
Reverend James Magrath and his family emigrated from Ireland in 1827. He left Ireland hoping to secure a prosperous future for his family. Reverend Magrath became the first Rector of St. Peter’s Anglican Church in what was then known as Springfield-on-the-Credit. He ministered over an area which now encompasses Mississauga, Oakville and part of Burlington. James worked diligently to serve the needs of both his family and his congregation. The family cleared the 700 acres allotted to them and built a home which they called Erindale. All of his sons; Thomas, James Jr, Charles and William prospered in prestigious positions in the community. In 1844 Charles returned to Ireland to look after family business. He returned to Canada 2 years later. The Magrath’s only daughter Anna, never married but looked after her family home and helped raise her brother William’s 3 daughters after their mother died.
These transcripts were typed by Kathleen Sayers, wife of Geoffrey Sayers, whose interest in family history led her to transcribe original papers, letters, newspaper clippings, transcripts and research notes relating to Geoffrey's maternal lineage. Geoffrey was the grandson of Arthur Harris and Mary Harris (nee Magrath). The original documents are held by the Peel Heritage Complex.