Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1136 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Research Note: Ownership of Land Where Clarkson United Church Stands
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: Ownership of Land Where Clarkson United Church Stands
Identifier: 2005.1.123.2
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1970-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The front of the page contains information about the ownership of the land at the site of Clarkson United Church (southeast corner of Clarkson and Lakeshore). It says that in 1867, Captain Sutherland, the grandfather of Mrs. A.B. Harris of Benares turned the land he had bought in 1859 over to Margaret Merigold, and she became the sole owner of the site of Clarkson United Church. In 1875 Mrs. Merigold (nee Vail) turned the property over to the church. She died in 1880. Handwritten in blue ink at top proper left is: “117”. The reverse is a blank form, an invoice or statement from Geoffrey H. Sayers, Insurance.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers between 1970-1975. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffrey’s job in Insurance

The Merigold’s were one of the first seven families to settle in the Clarkson area of Mississauga. Captain Sutherland was Mary Harris'(nee Magrath) maternal grandfather. The Magrath's lived on an estate called Erindale and Mary's paternal grandfather Reverend James Magrath was the first rector of St. Peters Anglican Church.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850