COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 1105 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Research Note: Lorne Park
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: Lorne Park
Identifier: 2005.1.123.19
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1970-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A piece of paper containing typewritten information about taking produce to St. Lawrence Market and attending a ball in honour of the Prince of Wales (Edward VII). There is also information about Lorne Park and printing of the invitations to its formal opening. According to the information before Lorne Park became the property of a private corporation, it was used as a picnic park and was a popular place for large picnics, which came by boat from Toronto & Hamilton. Lorne Park was named after the Marquis & Marchioness of Lorne, when he was Governor-General of Canada, and a large hotel was built in the grounds named 'The Hotel Louise', after the Marchioness. The formal opening by her was quite a social function. Upside down at the bottom, and crossed over with a wavy line in blue ink is information about Capt. James Beveridge Harris' life before he moved to Benares. The reverse is three blank cheques drawn on The Royal Bank of Canada, 425 University Avenue Branch, Toronto.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers between 1970-1975. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffrey’s job in Insurance.

Geoffrey's great grandfather Captain James Beveridge Harris purchased Benares in 1837. Captain Harris and his wife Elizabeth (nee Molony) had 8 children but only one surviving son; Arthur, who inherited the house and property. Arthur and his wife Mary (nee Magrath) had two daughters, Annie and Naomi. While Naomi spent her entire unwed life at Benares, Annie was married to Beverley Sayers. Their three children, Geoffrey Harris Sayers, Dora Sayers Caro and Barbara Sayers Larson, donated the home and many of the original furnishing to the Ontario Heritage Foundation (now Ontario Heritage Trust, or OHT) upon the death of their aunt, Naomi Harris in 1968. It was restored and fully furnished with Harris Family items and opened to the public in 1995.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada