Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1329 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Transcript: Mr. Arthur Harris Died at Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Transcript: Mr. Arthur Harris Died at Clarkson
Identifier: 2005.1.123.20
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1970-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A piece of paper containing a typewritten transcript of a newspaper account of the death notice of Arthur Harris. At the top proper left handwritten in blue ink is: "118". Arthur Harris's death notice describes him as a keen sportsman who enjoyed bird hunting and fishing. "Mr. Harris became one of the best shots in the famous St. Anne's Island Duck Shooting Club near Windsor". Benares is described as "long the centre of a gracious hospitality dispensed to neighbours and city friends by Mr. & Mrs. Harris". The second paragraph is information about the name Benares is bracketed and marked "WRONG" handwritten in blue ink. The reverse has a transcript of another newspaper account of the death notice of Arthur Harris and is a letterhead for North American Life Assurance Company.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers between 1970-1975. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffrey’s job in Insurance.

Geoffrey's great grandfather Captain James Beveridge Harris purchased Benares in 1837. Captain Harris and his wife Elizabeth (nee Molony) had 8 children but only one surviving son; Arthur, who inherited the house and property. Arthur and his wife Mary (nee Magrath) had two daughters, Annie and Naomi. While Naomi spent her entire unwed life at Benares, Annie was married to Beverley Sayers. Their three children, Geoffrey Harris Sayers, Dora Sayers Caro and Barbara Sayers Larson, donated the home and many of the original furnishing to the Ontario Heritage Foundation (now Ontario Heritage Trust, or OHT) upon the death of their aunt, Naomi Harris in 1968. It was restored and fully furnished with Harris Family items and opened to the public in 1995.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850