|Description: 27 pieces of paper with double-spaced typewritten notes in black ink on the front. The notes have been taken from the church registers and minutes of annual vestry meetings. It relates the history of "St Peters on the Credit". There are handwritten annotations, changes etc. in blue ink. On the backs of the papers are sheets of three blank Royal Bank of Canada cheques. Smaller sheets of typewritten notes on various scrap papers are interleaved occasionally between the cheque sheets. |
This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffrey’s job in Insurance
The original St. Peter’s Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peter’s Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peter’s Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson “175 Years of History” (Erindale: St Peter’s Anglican Church, 2000).