COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 1107 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Research Note: Magrath Arrival in Canada
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: Magrath Arrival in Canada
Identifier: 2005.
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Two single-spaced typewritten research notes about the Magrath early family history and arrival in Upper Canada. Notes in the top proper left corner and proper right margin show the information was taken from Chapter V beginning on page 107 from "From Strachan to Owen". The narrative goes over onto both sides of the two pages. The story of how a man named Carter of Derry West attempted to raise a church on his own farm and become the clergyman of Toronto Township before St. Peter's was completed is told. There is mention of a raising ceremony involving the soaking of a pine stump in a bucket of whiskey before laying it into the building. It is noted that "this was recorded in the Colonial Advocate of July 23rd, and served to convince Adamson more than ever of the need for a recognized and reputable clergyman, and he wrote the Governor's secretary to use his influence to procure Magrath's appointment". The reverse of the first page is North American Life Assurance Company letterhead and the reverse of second page is Geoffrey H. Sayers Insurance letterhead.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada