Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 1151 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Research Note: Taking Down the Old St. Peter's Church
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: Taking Down the Old St. Peter's Church
Identifier: 2005.1.81.8
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A piece of paper with double and single-spaced typewritten notes about taking down the old St. Peter's church to build a new one. In the top proper left corner is a note reading: "Copied from a typewritten sheet in records". Below that, handwritten in blue ink is: "1st page Register 3". The handwritten number "21A" appears in the bottom proper left corner. Typewritten in red ink at the bottom of the page is: "Note - Na (Naomi) says they started to take the old church down May 19th, 1887, the day Aunt Min married E. Crickmore. The levelling commenced immediately the church was cleared of the wedding party." This note is set off by an "X" handwritten in blue ink on either side of it. The reverse of the page is blank Geoffrey H. Sayers Insurance letterhead.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)