Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1145 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Research Note: St. Peters 1931 to 1960
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: St. Peters 1931 to 1960
Identifier: 2005.1.81.11
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A piece of paper with single-spaced typewritten chronological notes about events at St. Peter's from 1931 to 1960, the duration of Reverend G. F. Banks appointment. The notes begin with Rev. Banks arrival in Erindale with his family December 16, 1931. A few highlights follow: In 1933, a "Fowl Supper" was held in the Community Hall in the Village to raise money "towards the installation of a bathroom in the Rectory". In 1936 a basement to be used as a Sunday School and Parish Hall was dug out under the church by volunteer labourers. In 1941 the first Christmas Day Service was broadcast immediately after the Christmas message by Her Majesty the Queen. In September girls from St. Hilda's Girls' School arrived from Whitby England, and took up residence at Glen Erin Hall to escape war-torn England. In 1949 the Church steeple was covered with copper. In 1950 the 125th Anniversary of the founding of the Parish was celebrated. A Garden Party was held in Miles Park. 1100 tickets for supper were sold. In 1954 the Church was damaged by lightening. and in 1957 the new organ was installed.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851