|Description: A single-spaced typewritten transcript on white office paper of a speech dated Sept. 23, 1818 delivered by Charles James Bishop of Quebec at the consecration of St. Peter's Church. A typewritten note in red ink in the top proper left corner reads: "Ontario Archives - Ref. Strachan papers". The speech includes that the church was separated and "set apart forever, from all profane or common use" and dedicated and consecrated "for Divine Worship and the celebrations of Divine ordinances". The name St. Peter's was decreed and declared "that it shall be so called for all future time". |
This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance
The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).