Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 825 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph- Bell Residence or Bell Hotel
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph- Bell Residence or Bell Hotel
Identifier: 2006.4.3.4
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1960- 1990
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Black and white glossy photo of Bell residence, mounted on cardstock. It shows a light coloured house with a dark roof from the side view. Trees surround the house and it has a white picket fence. There are 11 windows visible and a centre front door. The image also shows the road running along the front of the house.

According to the book entitled Mississauga Heritage: The Formative Years 1798 -1879, the Bell House located at 1090 Derry Road West. Concession 3 WHS, pt. Lot 10, Eż n Meadowvale was built by George Bell, a blacksmith in 1844. It was the first hotel in Meadowvale and amongst the first in Peel; it was also know as the Temperance Hotel. Some possible remnants of an entrance on the east side of the hotel indicate that there may have been a tavern at the hotel. Eventually when the prosperity declined in Meadowvale, the Hotel was converted into a private residence. Also in this book, "The main entrance has a six-panelled door, a transom, and Neo-classical pilasters supporting a matching architrave or cornice. Four-paned storm windows cover six-over-six paned sash windows which are flanked by shutters."
"Mississauga’s Heritage: The Formative Years 1798-1879" (Recreation and Parks Department: Mississauga, 1983), 52.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850