Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 817 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Photograph- Britannia School House, SS # 12
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph- Britannia School House, SS # 12
Identifier: 2006.4.3.5
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1970-1990
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Black and white photo mounted on thick cardstock. It shows an angled view of Britannia school. The school has two large windows on the façade and three windows on its right side. The school is made out of brick. There is a small rose window above the front door. It also shows a louvered steeple that held the school's bell.

Britannia school 5576 is located at 5576 Hurontario Street. Concession 1 WHS, pt. Lot 3 E¿. The school house, known has School Section # 12, Toronto Township School, was built in 1852 on land that was granted by the Crown in 1833. The land was responsible by three trustees, Col. William Thompson, James Magrath and Joseph Gardner.
The land was used as a farm by John Ellis from 1939 until 1971. According o the book "Mississauga’s Heritage: The Formative Years 1798-1879," "Britannia School was considered to be quite large by local nineteenth-century standards. According to the school’s Annual Report for 1852, there were 80 pupils on the register, with 51 enrolled during the summer, and 52 during the winter." "Mississauga’s Heritage: The Formative Years 1798-1879" (Recreation and Parks Department: Mississauga, 1983), 60.

The school was officially closed in 1956 and in 1978 the school was designated as a heritage property and with restoration completed by 1982.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada