|Description: Black and white glossy photo mounted on thick cardstock showing the Brown-Vooro House. The house is two stories with five windows on the front and a door in the centre. The roof has a gabled peak in the centre decorated with gingerbread. There are trees on both sides of the house and a grass lawn. |
This Italianate style house is located on 620 Derry Road West, Concession 2 WHS, pt. Lot 10 Eż in Meadowvale and was built in 1866 by Loyalist Samuel Brown. It is believed the house was built after an architectural pattern recommended in 1865 by the Journal, The Canada Farmer. The house is currently operated for a day care facility and the house is currently Heritage Designated.
The House is located on the south side of Derry Road West, east of Meadowvale. According to the description found in the book "Mississauga’s Heritage: The Formative Years 1798-1879", "In the two-story Brown-Vooro House, the middle bay consists of a projecting frontispiece, with its peaked gable ornamented by a carved bargeboard. The entrance door, with its two bottom panels and large windows, was apparently moved from the vestibule in the early 1960s to replace the original exterior door. The rest of the entrance consists of the original carved pilasters and architrave, round-headed sidelights, and glazed transom panels. The window in the peaked gable is Italianate, and consists of two round-headed casement windows surrounded by a round-headed, louvered opening. The other windows are six-over-six paned double-hung sash. The cornice has mouldings and brackets. An addition at the back, added shortly after the main block was constructed, has a cornice decorated by a buff brick pattern."
"Mississauga’s Heritage: The Formative Years 1798-1879" (Recreation and Parks Department: Mississauga, 1983), 70.