Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 1327 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Transcript: Memorial August 30 1828
  View Full size image
Title: Transcript: Memorial August 30 1828
Identifier: 2005.
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A double-spaced typewritten transcript in black ink on white office paper of a memorial dated 30th August 1828 regarding the sale of land Lot number Three in the first Range North of Dundas Street "by John Beverly Robinson to Peter Adamson, Joseph Adamson, Alexander Proudfoot, William Thompson, Frederick Starr Jarvis and Henry Carpenter, their heirs and assigns forever". The land was "heretofore part of the Mississaugua Indian Reserve" and totalled two acres and thirty two rods. A note on the back of the fourth page titled "Copy" states that it is a true copy of "an instrument duly entered and registered in the Registry Division of the County of Peel in Book No. 19 for County at 3 o'clock P.M. of this 9 day of May AD 1848 No. 33070 Signed Doris K. Herbert, Dept. Registrar." These four pages have Missquoi and Rouville letterhead in green ink on the reverse. The last page is a Registry of Pew Owners from 1829 to 1848. The reverse of the last page is Geoffrey H. Sayers Insurance letterhead.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)