COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 1117 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Research Note: Rector's Wardens and Peoples' Wardens 1828-1964
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: Rector's Wardens and Peoples' Wardens 1828-1964
Identifier: 2005.
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The first page is a piece of paper containing a single-spaced typewritten note in red ink. The note is about the fact that no reports of Vestry meetings for the period 1914 to 1929 were ever found by the researchers, Geoffrey and Kay Sayers. They also found no record of Church Wardens between 1907 and 1913. The last four pages are a listing in two columns of Rector's Wardens and Peoples' Wardens from 1828 to 1964. James Beveridge Harris was Peoples' Warden from 1838 to1840 inclusive and 1846 to 1856 inclusive. The reverse of these four pages is a blank application form for automobile insurance from The Missisquoi and Rouville Insurance Company.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada