|Description: Single-spaced typewritten research notes on white office paper. The narrative describes the early development of the area at the mouth of the Credit River including, in 1798, the building of Government House, an official inn and ferry house which was built by the legislature. Early settlers named include William Allan, Col. Thomas Ingersoll (Laura Secord's father), Philip Cody and others. "Daniel Harris, a carpenter,millwright and shipbuilder, damned Cooksville Creek and bought a sawmill, and built one of the first ships that went out of Credit Harbour. So important was this family at this time that Cooksville was known as Harrisville. (Harris) Also ran a successful potashery.". Joseph Cawthra of Yorkshire, settled here with his family of a wife and 10 children about 1808. The development of Oakville Harbour by Col. William Thompson about 1827 and other early settlers of Oakville and Port Credit area are mentioned. The narrative goes over onto the back of the page and concludes with the choosing of a site for the building of the Church of St. Peter's. It includes a list of major contributors. The reverse of the papers is Geoffrey H. Sayers Insurance letterhead. |
This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance
The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).