Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 904 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph- Lewis Bradley Pioneer Museum
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph- Lewis Bradley Pioneer Museum
Identifier: 2006.4.5.21
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1978
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Black and white photo of the Bradley House museum shown from its front entrance. Only its right wall is visible in the picture. There is a white picket fence surrounding the front of the house and there are a couple of medium sized trees behind the fence.

Mississauga’s first museum, Bradley Museum, celebrated its 40th anniversary in June 2007. Opened as a Centennial Project in 1967, this site has continued to grow and evolve over the decades and is still undergoing developmental changes today. Bradley Museum is situated on a 2 1/4 acre site in the Clarkson area of Mississauga. Presently there are six structures on the Bradley site: three are historic houses and three are reproduction outbuildings (a barn, a drive shed, and an outhouse). The site was named for Bradley House, when the original structure moved to the site. Kenneth Armstrong was one of the driving forces behind saving the Bradley House. He was a community resident who recognized the value of a small dilapidated farmhouse. Spurred into action in 1959 when the house was being sold by the B.A. Oil Company for removal or demolition, Armstrong purchased the structure and offered it to the Township of Toronto. He is celebrated by a brass plaque just inside the front door of the house. At this point in time, the Museum became a municipal concern.

The Township of Toronto appointed Mary Fix and Robert K. Harrison, “...to investigate the house's authenticity, explore the possibility of moving it, and decide what might be done with it.” Mary Fix, a Reeve of Toronto Township between 1953 and 1959, was probably the most noteworthy and motivating individual during the early development and restoration. Robert K. Harrison, a councillor was also a driving force at this time. Both Harrison and Fix suggested the formation of the Township of Toronto Historical Foundation (today, the Mississauga Heritage Foundation) which would restore and manage the house as a museum. The Foundation, headed by Mary Fix as chairperson received its provincial charter in 1960. The house was moved in 1961 and restored to the 1830's time period. It opened as a museum in 1967. It is now owned and operated by the City of Mississauga and continues to educate, entertain and grow. For more information on the Bradley Museum see www.museumsofmississauga.com.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850