Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1120 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Research Note: Early Settlers Toronto Township
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: Early Settlers Toronto Township
Identifier: 2005.1.81.28
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Double-spaced typewritten notes in black ink on beige, half-sized, tea-type paper. The note contains information on the extent of Toronto Township, the nature of the Credit Indian Reserve, and some of the very first settlers in the Port Credit area. Col. Thomas Ingersoll, who kept the Government House & Ferry at Port Credit previous to 1806 was the first settler in Toronto Township. In 1808 there were 7 families scattered along Dundas Street in the Old Survey (South of Dundas Street or SDS): John & Joseph Silverthorn, Philip Cody, Daniel Isaac, Harris, Allen Robinett, Wm. Barber & Absalom Wilcox. In 1819, the rear of the Township was surveyed & called the New Survey - "the greater part of which was granted to a colony of Irish from New York".A note at the end states that this is from a: "Cooksville Library Folder, Taken from Historical Atlas, Peel County, J.H. Pope, 1877."

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffrey’s job in Insurance
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850