Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1144 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Research Note: St. Peters: Original Dimensions and Furnishings
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: St. Peters: Original Dimensions and Furnishings
Identifier: 2005.1.81.37
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Double-spaced typewritten notes on beige, half-sized, tea-type paper with red adhesive residue along the proper right side. The notes concern the dimensions of the original St. Peter's 52 ft. x 32 ft. and its original furnishings: a Pulpit, reading desk, communion table and other things requisite for the decent performance of Divine Worship. Below this note reads: "Strachan Paper - Ontario Archives". A second note below the first has a number "2" written in the margin in pencil and reads: "Together with a small gallery in the rear of the structure, just to the north side of the main entrance, the church was large enough to contain about three hundred people." below this note is the name: "John Banks".

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851