|Description: Colour photograph of the harbour at Port Credit with only one docked boat. The building is a waterfront restaurant called Snug Harbour. |
According to the book entitled "Mississauga City of Excellence" by Ric McDonald "Port Credit was home to the Government Inn and the area’s first white resident-Thomas Ingersoll" who was the father of Laura Secord. The growth of the area was delayed by Mississauga’s land reserves bordering the Credit River. "Port Credit did not become a village until 1834, the same year that harbour facilities were substantially upgraded. Following the 1847 departure of the natives, the village enjoyed a period of exceptional growth. Unfortunately, this was abruptly halted in the mid-1850s by a fire harbour’s shipping traffic. The key to Port Credit’s revival proved to be its attraction as a summer resort area for fishing, hunting and cottagers. It further prospered with the opening of the St. Lawrence Starch Company in 1889 and by 1900 had become the most populated village in Toronto Township. In 1961, it became the Town of Port Credit." McDonald, Ric. “Mississauga City of Excellence.” (Ronald P. Beers and James E. Turner: Mississauga, 1997), 19.
Image shows Snug Harbour Restaurant, Seafood Bar and Grill at the Credit Village Marina located at the bottom of Stavebank Road in Port Credit. Snug Harbour was opened by three brothers, Roy, Andrew and Paul Clifton in 1996. See:http://www.snugharbourrestaurant.com/