|Description: Colour photograph of the entrance to Springcreek Cemetery on Clarkson Road North. There are two pillars on either side of the paved entrance. There are potted plants on top of the pillar. On the left pillar there is a sign that indicates the name of the cemetery. On the right pillar there is a sign that is difficult to read but it looks like it is indicating the address of the cemetery. |
The cemetery is located on 1390 Clarkson Road North. According to a transcription by the Halton Peel Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society, the cemetery was originally called "Chambers Spring Creek Grave Ground." Moreover, the society states that it could be the oldest burial ground in Peel County. One stone dates back to 1812 but it is not for certain that the person in question was actually buried there.
The first owner of the land on which the cemetery now rests was William Kelly, "who obtained a deed for 120 acres in 1824." He sold the farm in two portions in 1827 and 1828. The terrain sold in 1828 which eventually became the cemetery land, was purchased by John Chambers of Toronto Township. "The minutes of 1848 state that prior to 1837 the trustees of the cemetery were John Chambers, Warren Clarkson, and Nathaniel Hemhill. The earliest family names in the cemetery include Greeniaus, Pollard, Gable, Bradley, Merigold, Hendershot, Marlatt, Shook, Oliphant, Hemphill, Savage, Oughtred, Peer, Lawrence, Munn, Kelly, Smith and Clarkson."