|Description: A newspaper clipping from The Telegram, Toronto, Sat. Dec. 3, 1960 entitled "Church Thrives on Pioneer-Day Roots". The article is about the history of St. Peter's Church and was written by Aubrey Wice. It covers the pioneer era and Rev. James Magrath and other ministers such as George F. Banks. It discusses the era of rapid growth and recent development of the Erindale area. The war refugees from St. Hilda's Girls School in Whitby England who stayed in Canada for four years during the war and attended St. Peter's are mentioned as well as some of the more famous people buried in the churchyard cemetery such as J.F B. Livesay. |
This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance
The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).