Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 688 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Newspaper Clipping: Memorial Window
  View Full size image
Title: Newspaper Clipping: Memorial Window
Identifier: 2005.1.95.5
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1951
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A Newspaper clipping dated May 14, 1951. Handwritten in blue ink in the top margin is: "Globe & Mail". The article with photo is about a memorial window in honor of the late Rev. H. V.Thompson of Erindale Anglican Church for 25 years. The unveiling was done by Agriculture Minister T. L. Kennedy, oldest member of the Thompson family. Also in the photo are H.K. Thompson, holding the youngest member of the family and Rev. G.F. Banks.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).

Thomas Laird Kennedy (1878-1959) lived near the Dundas and Tomken intersection in Cooksville and Dixie. Kennedy was a fruit grower for the majority of his life however he became involved in politics and in 1919, he was elected to the provincial parliament as a Conservative member for Peel. He served as Minister of Agriculture from 1930-1934 and from 1943 until 1952. In 1948, Kennedy became interim Premier of Ontario when the incumbent, George Alexander Drew died. Kennedy remained in the office until Leslie Miscampbell Frost became leader of the party the following year.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851