Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 693 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Newspaper Clipping: St. Peter's On The Credit Conservation Authorities
  View Full size image
Title: Newspaper Clipping: St. Peter's On The Credit Conservation Authorities
Identifier: 2005.1.95.6
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1965
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A newspaper clipping about the history of St. Peter's Church by Kathleen Sayers of the Mississauga Historical Society. Handwritten in blue at the top margin is: "'The Weekly' July 8th 1965". The accompanying photo is captioned: "The Second St. Peter's. Built in 1887. The tower and spire were added in 1910. A large addition (not shown in this picture) was added after 1958."

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850