Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 1068 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Program: St. Peter's Church, Erindale 125th Anniversary, June 18th, 1950
  View Full size image
Title: Program: St. Peter's Church, Erindale 125th Anniversary, June 18th, 1950
Identifier: 2005.1.95.10
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1950
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A church program printed in dark navy blue ink on cream coloured card. The front contains the title at the top and a line drawing of St. Peter's Church in the centre with the names of the Rector, and officers of the church below: "Rev. George F. Banks, Rector; Lt. Col. C. T. Sharpe, Rector's Warden, Allen C. Wood, Peoples Warden". Inside, the program is printed with the order of service including the words of the hymns. The Honorable Ray Lawson, The Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, and The Right Rev. A. R. Beverly, Lord Bishop of Toronto participated. The back of the program contains a brief history of St. Peter's Church and a list of Rectors of the Church.

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)