|Description: A booklet of 36 pages entitled "St. Peter's Church Erindale 1825-1967" with photos printed in black and white on glossy paper. The cover is printed in dark blue on matte white cover stock. The cover art consists of a shield divided into four quadrants by a dextral cross. Each quadrant contains a maple leaf. The centre of the cross contains a book surmounted by a crown. Written on the book in Latin are the words "Nisi in Domus". Handwritten in blue ink inside the front cover is: "To Naomi Harris - a devoted and life-long member of St. Peter's Church signed Peter Gratton, Rector" and dated "November 1st, 1967, All Saints Day, Erindale". Both sides of the back cover are blank. This book was prepared to coincide with Canada's Centennial Celebrations. |
This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance
The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).