Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1119 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Research Note: Dundas Street and Disarming the Militia
  View Full size image
Title: Research Note: Dundas Street and Disarming the Militia
Identifier: 2005.1.95.38
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Single-spaced typewritten research notes in black ink on half-sized white paper the reverse of which is a blank Geoffrey H. Sayers statement/invoice form. The note begins with a paragraph referring to Perkins Bull's book which "does say Stephen Jarvis had a commission in the South Carolina Dragoons". The researchers have added: "Check & see if Thos. also belonged to this?". The next paragraph describes the purpose and building of Dundas Street. "The govt. was thus forced to take immediate steps towards estab. of a road for purposes of reinforcement, advance or retreat". Below this, handwritten in blue ink is: "Mackenzies Paper" . The next paragraph is headed by a reference to "p, 37 - The Constitution of Oct. 25, 1837 reports": This is followed by an account of the disarming of the militia. The author wrote: "We see the object of this movement, It is to disarm the faithful & peaceable yeomanry, for the purpose of strengthening the hands of the vile orange bullies who figured at Churchville, and the like of them. Thus is the supremacy of the Church of England to be upheld."

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffrey’s job in Insurance. Geoffrey's Grandmother's family the Magrath's were notable members of the community and the Militia and had property which bordered Dundas St. Geoffrey's Great Great Grandfather was the first Rector of St. Peters Anglican Church, also located along Dundas St.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851