Historic Images Gallery - New!
Displaying image 1342 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Transcript: St. Peter's Vestry Mtg. Apr. 9, 1849
  View Full size image
Title: Transcript: St. Peter's Vestry Mtg. Apr. 9, 1849
Identifier: 2005.1.95.48
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A double-spaced typewritten transcript in black ink on both sides of beige half-sized paper of a Vestry Meeting held on April 9th, 1849. It was resolved "that the Glebe Lot No. 9 Racey Tract, not being included in the Rectories, was advertised for sale as a Clergy Reserve, & the Rev. James Magrath being in possession thereof, had the right to purchase same, which he ceded to the Church Society on condition of same being given to St. Peter's on the Credit, when the parish could pay the amount at which it was valued, being 2 pounds 10 shillings per acre". Capt. James Beveridge Harris advanced the sum of 100 pounds to the parish, "being amount of principal & interest due to the Church Society, the parish to pay the same sum with interest to Capt. Harris, which , when paid, the said Lot shall be for the benefit of the Incumbent. The lot is now let to Michael Donnelly for 8 years, at 10 pounds per annum, said rent to be applied to payment of interest & principal". The last paragraph describes a resolution that "the Churchyard be laid out in Blocks, & numbered, when a Charge of Ten Shillings for each grave shall be levied."

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)