Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1301 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Transcript: Church Registry: Big Building Projects
  View Full size image
Title: Transcript: Church Registry: Big Building Projects
Identifier: 2005.1.95.52
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1960-1975
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A single-spaced transcript in red ink on beige half-sized paper. A note at the top of the page reads: "Note on first page of Register 3". The entry was written on May 21, 1906 by Ralph W. Hindes, Rector of the Parish and describes the taking down of the old St. Peter's Church the day before. "The Church Wardens (Weymouth Schreiber & Arthur B. Harris) agreed to assume any debt over & above the amount contributed. Mr. W.G. Schreiber paid himself all liability over that which was subscribed, I think $1200. He did not claim it as a debt due to himself or his heirs". The next note is by H.V. Thompson, Rector and is about the new building "to which a tower and a spire was added in 1910, at a cost of about $3,000, all of which was paid, was consecrated in November 1910 by James F. Swan, Bishop of Toronto". The third note on the page by Geo. F. Banks, Rector, 1931 is about the Parish Hall below the Church which "was begun in Feb. 1936 and was dedicated& opened by Archdeacon Warren in May of the same year."

This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance

The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851