|Description: A single-spaced typewritten transcript in red ink on white office paper. The page contains transcripts of three newspaper clippings. The first is from the Telegram dated May 14, 1925 which showed a "picture of proposed new church at Dixie, to replace old church struck by lightning & demolished last year. New bldg. estimated to cost at least $30,000". The second clipping which had no date concerned St. John Baptist Church, Dixie, "formally opened Sunday, Dec. 20, 1925. Among gifts were beautiful white marble font, with oak cover, presented by about 200 persons, some of whom were baptized in the old stone church, known then as Christ Church, Sydenham, some in the brick church destroyed by fire in June 1924, etc. Pulpit donated in memory of Rev. Ralph Hinds, a former clergyman, by his wife and son, George Hinds". The third clipping also has no date but is titled "Church Centenary Opens - Erindale-Dixie Parish". The article described special Thanksgiving services being held over five weeks to commemorate the centenary of the Erindale-Dixie parish. "Both services were well attended, particularly noticeable being the number of worshippers whose ancestors were amongst the early builders of the first churches. Included were A.B. Harris, John Wolfe, E.J. Pellet, Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Goldthorpe, Col. Kennedy and John Keir". The reverse of the pages is Geoffrey H. Sayers General Insurance Company letterhead. |
This item is part of a box of original papers, transcripts, research notes, and newspaper clippings compiled and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. The notes and transcripts were written on the backs of papers related to Geoffreyís job in Insurance
The original St. Peterís Church was built in 1826 and demolished in 1887. St. Peterís Church had many ties with both the Harris and Magrath Families. The Harrises were strong supporters of the Church with Captain James B. Harris (1797-1884) acting as a church warden from 1838-1860. Arthur B. Harris (1843-1932) was on the building committee in 1886 and also served as a church warden and had agreed to assume some of the debt over and above the amount contributed to the Building Fund of the new structure. Reverend James Magrath was the first Rector of the church and his family continued to support it after his death. Many members of the Magrath and Harris families were married at the Church; including Mary (nee Magrath) and Arthur Harris, Annie (nee Harris) and Beverly Sayers and Kathleen (nee Colloton) and Geoffrey Sayers. For more information on the history of St. Peterís Anglican Church, see: Thompson Adamson "175 Years of History" (Erindale: St Peterís Anglican Church, 2000).