Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 453 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Gloves
  View Full size image
Title: Gloves
Identifier: 2008.1.25
Donor: Unknown
Item Date: 1920
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A pair of elegant white kid gloves with fine stitching and brown trim. The gusset fingers have 1 mm seams of very tiny stitches. On the back of the glove are three decorative chain stitched lines, 2.5 cm long in off white silk thread to match the leather, slightly fanned out so that each line ends below a finger gusset. Over the top of the chain stitch lines has been added large black running stitch in pairs. Two each on outside lines and one in middle of centre line. The gloves fasten with a dark brown shiny domed snap leaving a key hole opening which is edged with brown leather trim; 1 mm wide on the outside. The cuff is round to the main body of the glove with 2 mm brown trim to form a 'v' on the back and on the inside wrist. The very fine 1 mm trim continuous from the keyhole closure around the edge of the whole cuff. On the back of the cuff more decorative detail is shown in fine zigzag stitching in black thread and in the brown leather line slits in the white leather, pulled together with a tiny piece of leather to form 6 bows 9?) on each side of the 'v'. The edge of the cuff has a 'v' cut out, its apex pointing to the apex of the cuff joined 'v'. Marked inside the left handed glove, (a), is "MM", "XMAYERS GLOVES", "ELINOR" as well as some indecipherable letters. A purple label on the inside 'v' of the outer cuff edge says "The Robert Simpson Company." Marked in black in is the inspection (?) number "974" beside the "MM." The right hand glove, (b) is marked with a faint blue ink with "6/3" over "972b."

The Robert Simpson Company began as R. Simpson, Dry Goods in 1872 and was led by Robert Simpson (d. 1897) a native of Scotland. The store was located at 184 Yonge Street along with other popular dry goods stores including T. Eaton Company. Simpson was the first to distribute coloured 'dodgers' or flyers to city residences. After Robert Simpson's death in 1897 the store was purchased by prominent Toronto businessmen including Harris Henry Fudger.

The company continued to thrive and expand throughout the 1900s and in 1905 they introduced a mail order building to deal with orders and parcels. In the early 1950s Sears, Roebuck purchased the Simpson's mail order business and Simpson-Sears stores were built in some parts of Canada. In 1978 the Hudson Bay Company took over the Simpsons chain. The Simpson Tower, located at 401 Bay Street was built in 1968 and is houses the head office of HBC. The flagship store located at 176 Yonge St was converted into a Bay Store in 1991; the original store was built by architect Langley & Burke (?) in the late 1890s.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850