Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 489 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Hat
  View Full size image
Title: Hat
Identifier: 2008.14.2
Donor: Alison Dicks
Item Date: 1945-1955
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A ladies black wool felt dress hat with net veil, glass bead flowers and single feather trim. The hat is a round, very shallow dome-shape over a steel ring. A narrow self band is tacked one third from the back. A second self-band is shaped with a steel insert into a loop. The long ends of the loop are finished with flowers, each with five outline petals made of glass beads. (A small remnant of original plain netting is stitched at the back. There are small fragments of bright mica-like brownish trim material caught in the original netting and on each side of the undersurface.) What appears to be a replacement veil is tangled on the proper right flower. The new veil net has tiny squares at each join. It is made of a length of netting tied in a small bow at the back; the loops are finished with self tabs. There are V-shaped claspers at each side on the underside. The raw edges are finished with grosgrain ribbon. A pheasant feather (21cm in length) is tucked under the self band.

This hat belonged to the donor's mother. Alison Dicks parents were John Sproule and Avnell Scarff Sproule. Her parents lived on the ‘Honey Farm’ that was located across the street from the Pinchin property. The 1950s style bungalow is located at 4390 Mississauga Road.

Alison’s father John provided honey for the Streetsville Bread and Honey Festival. Mr. Sproule was also a groundskeeper of Glenerin, now known as the Glenerin Inn. In 1932 Mr. Sproule took over as Estate Manager after the owner of the house, William Waston Evans passed away. Alison grew up around the area of Glenerin and it is documented that her family lived in the Gate house. Mr. Sproule also helped out with the grounds of the ‘pioneer cemetery’ located at Mississauga Road and Dundas Street and was involved with the upkeep of Erindale Community Hall.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851