|Description: A black hard felt ladies hat. The style resembles a pill box but the depth of the crown varies from 10 cm to 7.5 cm. The crown is pushed down resembling a flan. It is trimmed with three 1 cm rows of black satin ribbon which cross each other at the back. There is a felt bow type decoration at the left front made from 2.5 cm wide felt strip. The inside of the hat has a 3 cm wide band of black grosgrain attached to the inside rim. A 29 cm black elastic attached to the ribbon at the sides serves to keep the hat on the head. |
This hat belonged to either the grandmother or the mother of Alison Dicks. Alison Dicks parents were John Sproule and Avnell Scarff Sproule. Her parents lived on the ‘Honey Farm’ that was located across the street from the Pinchin property. The 1950s style bungalow is located at 4390 Mississauga Road.
Alison’s father John provided honey for the Streetsville Bread and Honey Festival. Mr. Sproule was also a groundskeeper of Glenerin, now known as the Glenerin Inn. In 1932 Mr. Sproule took over as Estate Manager after the owner of the house, William Waston Evans passed away. Alison grew up around the area of Glenerin and it is documented that her family lived in the Gate house. Mr. Sproule also helped out with the grounds of the ‘pioneer cemetery’ located at Mississauga Road and Dundas Street and was involved with the upkeep of Erindale Community Hall.
|Copyright: Museums of Mississauga|
|Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga|