Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 750 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Petticoat
  View Full size image
Title: Petticoat
Identifier: 2008.14.4
Donor: Alison Dicks
Item Date: 1920-1930
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A small white half petticoat or crinoline made of net and lace. The waist has a 1 cm wide elastic band 84 cm around. The top of the petticoat is made of net 34 cm in depth. At the bottom of this is a 15 cm row of white net shirred on to the top piece. At the bottom of this is a 17 cm wide band of net lace shirred onto the middle piece. Underneath this band of lace is another 17 cm band of net. The bottom edges of the petticoat are bound with .5 cm white tape. A tag with size "S" (small) is located 7.5 cm from the waistband.

This petticoat belonged to either the grandmother or the mother of Alison Dicks. Alison Dicks parents were John Sproule and Avnell Scarff Sproule. Her parents lived on the ‘Honey Farm’ that was located across the street from the Pinchin property. The 1950s style bungalow is located at 4390 Mississauga Road.

Alison’s father John provided honey for the Streetsville Bread and Honey Festival. Mr. Sproule was also a groundskeeper of Glenerin, now known as the Glenerin Inn. In 1932 Mr. Sproule took over as Estate Manager after the owner of the house, William Waston Evans passed away. Alison grew up around the area of Glenerin and it is documented that her family lived in the Gate house. Mr. Sproule also helped out with the grounds of the ‘pioneer cemetery’ located at Mississauga Road and Dundas Street and was involved with the upkeep of Erindale Community Hall.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850