Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 380 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Dress and Jacket
  View Full size image
Title: Dress and Jacket
Identifier: 2008.14.5.1-2
Donor: Alison Dicks
Item Date: 1930
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A two-piece outfit consisting of a dress and a bolero-style jacket made from beige rayon of a silky texture. 1) The dress is sleeveless with a scalloped V-shaped neckline. The neckline has three scallops on each side and an oval scoop fastened with two amber-coloured glass buttons and a Sunday School Pin. The pin is gold-coloured and has a Formée cross which extends slightly beyond its circular shape. On the main arm of the cross are the letters C. of E. (Church of England). Around the circumference of the pin are the words "St. Peter's Sunday School". Beside each neckline scallop, embroidered in beige silk thread in chain stitch, is a stem and leaf pattern ending in a heart. Below the oval scoop of the V are the same patterns to form a heart. The bodice is straight cut with no darts. The skirt is attached to the bodice at the waist, and has 8 gores to form a gentle flare. The centre gores are divided into a 35 cm pleat, front and back, with the addition of a 5 cm wide panel. All the gores are top stitched to within 35 cm of the hem except for the side seams. None of the seams are finished on the inside. The hem is 11 cm wide, machine sewn on the edge, but hand stitched with large, loose stitches. The sleeveless edges are trimmed with the same fabric, bias cut and top sewn..2) The bolero-style jacket has short sleeves and a cross-over neckline fastened with two amber-coloured plastic 2 cm diameter buttons. The sleeves have a cuff top-sewn in a mitre-shape with a decorative amber-coloured plastic button. There are three small darts in the back neckline, two 8 cm long with the middle one 9 cm in length. The overlapping neckline is edged with a 4 mm wide bias edging cut from the same fabric.

This dress and jacket belonged to the donor's mother. Alison Dicks parents were John Sproule and Avnell Scarff Sproule. Her parents lived on the ‘Honey Farm’ that was located across the street from the Pinchin property. The 1950s style bungalow is located at 4390 Mississauga Road.

Alison’s father John provided honey for the Streetsville Bread and Honey Festival. Mr. Sproule was also a groundskeeper of Glenerin, now known as the Glenerin Inn. In 1932 Mr. Sproule took over as Estate Manager after the owner of the house, William Waston Evans passed away. Alison grew up around the area of Glenerin and it is documented that her family lived in the Gate house. Mr. Sproule also helped out with the grounds of the ‘pioneer cemetery’ located at Mississauga Road and Dundas Street and was involved with the upkeep of Erindale Community Hall.

Family were members of St. Peter's Anglican Church in Erindale.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850