Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 378 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Dress
  View Full size image
Title: Dress
Identifier: 2008.14.8.1-2
Donor: Alison Dicks
Item Date: 1910-1915
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A full length formal dress of coral pink lace with matching satin sash and under dress. (.1) The dress has a fitted bodice with a wide 'v' neckline and a row of 11 self covered buttons down the centre front. The short sleeves are gathered at the top of the shoulder and are supported by an inset of stiff nylon mesh. The sleeve hem is rolled and the front yoke seam ahs small horizontal straps with snaps to t hold the under dress should straps. The bodice is shape with gathers at the yoke and waist inset seams. The sash is in two parts and is stitched into the side seams and tapered from 3.7 t o 9.7 cm wide. The skirt is narrow over the hips and flared at the bottom with a rolled hem. The dress has a side zipper found o the proper left side. (.2) The under dress has a fitted bodice with a side opening found on the proper left side. The side opening consists of a three dome fasteners on a placket. The dress has a wide 'v' neckline. The shoulder straps are narrow and the bodice is shape with darks from the armhole front and two unusually (unevenly) placed double ended darts in the back. The skirt is flared at he bottom with a double turned stitched hem. The skirt flare is piece at the proper left front and proper right back.

The dress belonged to the donor's mother; Avnell Scarff Sproule.

Alison Dicks parents were John Sproule and Avnell Scarff Sproule. Her parents lived on the ‘Honey Farm’ that was located across the street from the Pinchin property. The 1950s style bungalow is located at 4390 Mississauga Road.

Alison’s father John provided honey for the Streetsville Bread and Honey Festival. Mr. Sproule was also a groundskeeper of Glenerin, now known as the Glenerin Inn. In 1932 Mr. Sproule took over as Estate Manager after the owner of the house, William Waston Evans passed away. Alison grew up around the area of Glenerin and it is documented that her family lived in the Gate house. Mr. Sproule also helped out with the grounds of the ‘pioneer cemetery’ located at Mississauga Road and Dundas Street and was involved with the upkeep of Erindale Community Hall.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851