Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 381 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Dresser
  View Full size image
Title: Dresser
Identifier: 2008.23.1a
Donor: Dorothy Galajda
Item Date: 1830-1900
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A wooden chest of drawers with veneer top (?) and front. The back of the dresser is made with four pieces of wood nailed together. The top of the dresser is made out two pieces of veneer wood glued together (?). A simple moulding runs along the edge of the dresser top. Inside the dresser runners and carcass are made with butt joins. There are also small wooden diamond shaped pieces nailed to the bottom of the front drawer carcass. Drawers are constructed with dovetail joins and are nailed. All drawers have a metal key hole screwed together by four screws. The knobs of the all the drawers consist of a wooden turned knob recessed inside a concave circle. The two smaller drawers have one knob on each while the larger drawers each of two knobs; all knobs appear to be glued onto the drawer. The dresser has four feet made out of turned ball and ring style and are screwed on to metal castors. There are three 2 cm holes across the back top of the dresser that hold the matching mirror (2008.23.1 b) in place.

Furniture from this accession belonged to members of the Graydon Family of Streetsville. These items were inherited by Mrs. Jean Burns from her parents and aunts who passed away during the 1960's. Her aunts were named Hattie (1867-1961), Mabel (1871-1964), and Mysia (1874-1960). These three women never married and were known as 'the Graydon Girls'. Jean’s parents were Austin and Bertha (née Shaw) Graydon. John Graydon was their father (1836-1904) who was a prominent builder in Streetsville from 1850-1900. John was a dedicated member of the Methodist Church and worked on the Public and High School Boards for more than thirty years. He was also a Streetsville Councillor and Reeve from 1877-1898, and a Warden of Peel County in 1897. A staunch supporter of the Conservative Party, he was a Justice of the Peace and was instrumental in the construction of the Credit Valley Railway that linked Streetsville with rail service in 1879. A notable aunt was Hattie who trained to be a nurse in Chicago and was Ontario's first public health nurse. She travelled all over Ontario and did a lot of work in northern Ontario.

The donor, Dorothy Galajda, is the niece of Jean and Kirby Burns who have donated other Graydon items to the Museums of Mississauga including two portraits of John and Jane Graydon and accessories worn by ‘ the Graydon Girls’.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851