|Description: A wooden (walnut ?) hall chair with curved back, flat board seat and turned wooden front legs. The flat back curves out to form small balloons; a shield is carved onto the centre of the back. The back is attached to the seat and legs with three metal screws. The seat of the chair is almost square shape with sides sloping inward. The back two legs curve slightly outward while the front two legs are of a turned style. The seat of the chair is reinforced with four pieces of wood nailed onto each corner of the underside. |
Hall chairs were mostly used for decoration rather than function as noticed in the flat board seats. Some of the decorative features include a 'fake' coat of arms seen on the back. (information taken from 'The Furniture of Old Ontario' by Philip Shackleton, 1973.)
Furniture from this accession belonged to members of the Graydon Family of Streetsville. These items were inherited by Mrs. Jean Burns from her parents and aunts who passed away during the 1960's. Her aunts were named Hattie (1867-1961), Mabel (1871-1964), and Mysia (1874-1960). These three women never married and were known as 'the Graydon Girls'. Jean’s parents were Austin and Bertha (née Shaw) Graydon. John Graydon was their father (1836-1904) who was a prominent builder in Streetsville from 1850-1900. John was a dedicated member of the Methodist Church and worked on the Public and High School Boards for more than thirty years. He was also a Streetsville Councillor and Reeve from 1877-1898, and a Warden of Peel County in 1897. A staunch supporter of the Conservative Party, he was a Justice of the Peace and was instrumental in the construction of the Credit Valley Railway that linked Streetsville with rail service in 1879. A notable aunt was Hattie who trained to be a nurse in Chicago and was Ontario's first public health nurse. She travelled all over Ontario and did a lot of work in northern Ontario.
The donor, Dorothy Galajda, is the niece of Jean and Kirby Burns who have donated other Graydon items to the Museums of Mississauga including two portraits of John and Jane Graydon and accessories worn by ‘ the Graydon Girls’.