|Description: A solid wood mirror frame (b) and mirror (C) for matching dresser (2008.23.1a). Frame has elaborate carvings of scroll on ends as well as a small head of an Egyptian figure that is located at the top front of the frame. Frame has moulding that runs along on all sides of the frame except for the bottom. Six small holes run along the top of the frame. Two long strips of unpainted wood is found screwed to the bottom back of the frame that is used to secure the mirror to the dresser. A 76 cm by 47 cm framed mirror sits inside the mirror frame. This mirror has a straight bottom and sides with a curved top. The mirror is held in the back with thin sheets of unpainted wood held in by nails. |
Furniture from this accession belonged to members of the Graydon Family of Streetsville. These items were inherited by Mrs. Jean Burns from her parents and aunts who passed away during the 1960's. Her aunts were named Hattie (1867-1961), Mabel (1871-1964), and Mysia (1874-1960). These three women never married and were known as 'the Graydon Girls'. Jean’s parents were Austin and Bertha (née Shaw) Graydon. John Graydon was their father (1836-1904) who was a prominent builder in Streetsville from 1850-1900. John was a dedicated member of the Methodist Church and worked on the Public and High School Boards for more than thirty years. He was also a Streetsville Councillor and Reeve from 1877-1898, and a Warden of Peel County in 1897. A staunch supporter of the Conservative Party, he was a Justice of the Peace and was instrumental in the construction of the Credit Valley Railway that linked Streetsville with rail service in 1879. A notable aunt was Hattie who trained to be a nurse in Chicago and was Ontario's first public health nurse. She travelled all over Ontario and did a lot of work in northern Ontario.
The donor, Dorothy Galajda, is the niece of Jean and Kirby Burns who have donated other Graydon items to the Museums of Mississauga including two portraits of John and Jane Graydon and accessories worn by ‘ the Graydon Girls’.