|Description: A forged steel animal trap with chain and fastening pin. The trap arms are semi-circular 1 cm bands, held to the frame with self pins at each end. Pan is a rounded rectangle , held to the tongue with a notched support. The spring has holes at each end, the lower is smaller than the upper- the trap arms fit through the spring holes. The chain is joined to the centre of the spring with a bracket and hook. Chain is 8 double links each 5 cm long. Impressed on the pan is 'Victor V No 1 Giant'. |
Items belonged to Fred Nogas which he collected over the past 50 years. Fred was originally from the Niagara region and some of these tools belonged to his grandfather who had a farm in the area. Others were bought in Mississauga and various places in southern Ontario. Fred has lived in Clarkson since 1960 where he kept this collection of tools.
In the 1840s the Oneida Community of New York began to be involved with a variety of self-supporting craft industries. One of these activities included the manufacture of animal traps that were quickly recognized for their high quality throughout portions of North America. These traps at one time were the primary supplier of animal traps to the Hudson Bay Company. In the 1881 the Oneida Community dissolved but economic enterprises remained; the new company name, called Oneida Community Limited, than began to focus on manufacturing silverware. In 1925 the animal trap portion of the company was sold and the headquarters were relocated to Cleveland, Ohio and the company was renamed to Oneida Victor Company which still operates today.