Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 409 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Family Tree
  View Full size image
Title: Family Tree- Canadian Jarvises
Identifier: 2008.13,9
Donor: Unknown
Item Date: 1905
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A family tree made from two sheets of onion skin paper taped together. The tree consists of black and red ink handwriting. The generations are identified by Roman numerals along the left hand margin. The top right corner reads, "Condensed chart - showing descent of Canadian Jarvises, Red lines show descent through Col. Stephen Jarvis (69)." There is a note in the bottom left corner reading, "VII, IX, X Generations (not specified in detail) I have not re-tabulated the results of an almost world wide correspondence for gathering data." In the bottom right corner there is a note asking about where the name "Murray" came "to be adapted" in to the family branches. The pages are very ripped and torn along the edges.

The family tree was found with a collection of Jarvis family papers. The family tree starts with Stephen Jarvis (1) of Huntington, Long Island, "an English lawyer probably from Stafford. Died 1693." (69) is Col. Stephen Jarvis, U.E.L. who "moved from N.B. to Toronto in 1809, married Amelia Glover." (212) is Frederick Starr Jarvis, "Sheriff of York." Frederick's eldest son, (551) Frederick William Jarvis (1818-1887) married Caroline Skynner (1826-1916) in 1857, who lived at The Anchorage. The Anchorage, now the administrative office for the Museums of Mississauga, had originally belonged to the Jarvis family who sold it to Commander John Skynner in 1838. Frederick and Caroline moved into a mansion known as Woodlawn, located on the southeast corner of Wellesley and Jarvis in Toronto. Frederick William was deputy-sheriff of the Home District under his uncle, William Botsford Jarvis (1799-1856), and replaced him as sheriff in 1856. Frederick donated a portion of his property for a nursing home for the elderly and a home for the care of orphaned children. Caroline took an active role in the operation of both institutions. Both sites are now today's Wellesley Hospital in Toronto.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850