Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1105 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Research- Frederick William Jarvis
  View Full size image
Title: Research- Frederick William Jarvis
Identifier: 2008.13.10
Donor: Unknown
Item Date: 1905
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A legal size sheet of paper with black type. The paper appears to be the first page of someone's research about Frederick William Jarvis. There are not any subsequent pages; the sentence at the bottom of the page is cut off.

The paper was found with a collection of Jarvis family papers. Frederick William Jarvis (1818-1887) was the oldest son of Frederick Starr Jarvis. He married Caroline Skynner (1826-1916) in 1857, who lived at The Anchorage. The Anchorage, now the administrative office for the Museums of Mississauga, had originally belonged to the Jarvis family who sold it to Commander John Skynner in 1838. Frederick and Caroline moved into a mansion known as Woodlawn, located on the southeast corner of Wellesley and Jarvis in Toronto. Frederick William was deputy-sheriff of the Home District under his uncle, William Botsford Jarvis (1799-1856), and replaced him as sheriff in 1856. Frederick donated a portion of his property for a nursing home for the elderly and a home for the care of orphaned children. Caroline took an active role in the operation of both institutions. Both sites are now today's Wellesley Hospital in Toronto.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850